Nelson Hardiman is driven to solve the toughest challenges of ambulance and medical transport industry-wide. We harness our in-depth knowledge of healthcare law to represent California ambulance companies and other medical transportation businesses, including wheelchair and stretcher van companies.
We have a keen grasp of the multiple layers of regulatory and statutory oversight governing ambulance and medical transport services in California and have advised on virtually every legal aspect of medical transportation. Our team of experienced healthcare attorneys counsel ambulance and other medical transport companies to meet business, regulatory, and strategic challenges at every phase of their business life cycle. We apply our strategic understanding of the underlying issues to navigate the complications resulting from healthcare reform and the challenges of doing business in the highly regulated healthcare industry.
Our Work Includes:
- Ambulance Transportation Agreements Negotiated contractual agreements with skilled nursing facilities, hospitals and other providers.
- Business Transactions Structured transactions involving sale and change of ownership.
- Documentation Provided documentation and claims processing solutions for documenting medical necessity, including non-emergency medical transports and dialysis clinic related transports.
- Fraud and Abuse Represented a large ambulance company in a government fraud investigation and response to subpoena involving over a million documents, and created cost-analyses to rebut government theories of false claims liability.
- Healthcare Reform Modified provider business plans and implemented new policies and procedures to comply with Medicare/Medi-Cal regulations.
- Medi-Cal Handled Medi-Cal fraud and abuse investigations by the Department of Health Care Services Audits and Investigation Unit.
- Medicare Defended Medicare fraud and abuse investigations by Safeguard Services, Office of Inspector General, and the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
- Medicare/Medi-Cal Counseled medical transport companies on reimbursement audits and investigations by private and government payors, including Medicare and Medi-Cal.
- Wrongful Termination Represented an ambulance company in a lawsuit against its outsourced human resource provider and liability insurer due to their failure to defend and indemnify the ambulance company in a wrongful termination lawsuit.