Nelson Hardiman’s undisputed knowledge of the healthcare sector and keen insights into industry trends inspires our counsel on physician-hospital ventures. Providing support for the realignment of the healthcare industry, we structure entities that benefit patients, physicians, and hospitals. We negotiate complex financial vehicles and address the full spectrum of business, regulatory and strategy concerns to build and sustain physician-hospital ventures.
Our leadership at the intersection of healthcare law and innovation drives our experience with physician-hospital joint ventures. We represent multispecialty and orthopedic ambulatory surgery centers, cardiac catheterization, cardiovascular CT imaging, vascular services, orthopedic, heart, spine, neuro-spine, and surgical specialty hospitals and many other ventures. We combine regulatory counsel on Stark and anti-kickback laws with financial acumen encompassing joint equity ventures, participating bond transactions (PBTs), and contractual integration. Nelson Hardiman aligns the goals of physicians and hospital management to create strategic growth models united by a shared vision for physician-hospital ventures.
Our Work Includes:
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers Documented the financing and/or sale of over 25 ambulatory surgery centers.
- Business Advised on entity formation and business structure for various hospital-physician ventures.
- Class Action. Represented out-of-network outpatient surgery centers (ASCs) in federal putative class action against healthcare insurers, and numerous ERISA plans for alleged failure to reimburse the ASCs according to a proper methodology for calculating the usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) reimbursement as set forth in the plans.
- Clinics Negotiated clinical ventures between hospitals and affiliated physicians.
- Licensing Advised on Knox-Keene and Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC) license application requirements for physician-hospital ventures throughout California.
- Mergers and Acquisitions Handled complex transactional matters, including mergers and acquisition and joint ventures, for physician-hospital ventures.
- Restructuring Represented the borrower in obtaining a $15.8 million syndicated loan facility to restructure 12 physician clinic practices and ambulatory surgery centers located in California.
- Securities Finance For a physician-hospital joint venture, created a new security worth $100 million as a bond-equivalent for hedge fund seeking stable but higher returns, based on cash flows captured from healthcare organizations.